I have been a vegetarian for over a year. There was a meatball incident in the 2015 holiday season, but I promptly got back on track! Being a fairly new vegetarian, I am always looking for ways to get more protein in my diet. Quinoa balls fit the bill, packed with protein and easy to reheat or yummy to eat cold. The inspiration for my quinoa balls comes from my favorite cookbook, The Complete Vegetarian Cookbook: A Fresh Guide to Eating Well with 700 Foolproof Recipes. I took portions of two recipes and added my own twist to come up with my crowd pleasing recipe.
- Cook the quinoa, ½ cups of quinoa to 3 cups of water.
- Transfer cooked quinoa into a large mixing bowl. Add in spinach and mix.
- In a large saucepan, heat up a small amount of olive oil. Sauté onion, garlic, cayenne pepper and 1 tablespoons of Bragg Liquid Amino. Add into the large bowl and mix.
- Add 3 eggs, grated jalapeno cheese, ground black pepper, crushed red pepper and 3 tablespoons of Bragg Liquid Amino
- Coat the baking sheet with a thin layer of olive oil.
- Make quinoa balls, about the size of a golf ball, place on the baking sheet
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place quinoa balls, on the baking sheet, in the freezer for 5 to 10 minutes to cool and firm.
- Place into oven (on the middle baking position) and bake until slightly brown and crisp, about 20 minutes.
- Serve immediately or cool and refrigerate for later consumption.
- 1 ½ cups of quinoa
- Olive oil
- 3 large cloves of garlic
- ½ of a medium sized sweet onion
- 2 large cayenne peppers
- 4 ounces, Monterey Jack cheese with jalapenos
- 15 ounces chopped spinach (frozen)
- 3 eggs
- Bragg Liquid Amino
- Sea salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste