Let’s face it, life is busy. It is hard to find time to do all the things we want to do. Keeping your house clean and clutter free will help you have more time in your day. You will no longer be running around trying to find your keys or your left shoe! Once everything has a place, and it is put away in that place, it will be easier to get of the house in the morning and easier to have more time with your family at night.
- Make your bed in the morning. While this doesn’t help you get out of the house faster, it helps you start the day out on the right foot and it is much nicer to come home to an orderly bedroom. This allows you some time to relax as you change from your work day and prepare for your evening with your family.
- Do a load of laundry a day. There is no better way to ruin the weekend than to spend it doing laundry all Saturday or Sunday. Stay on top of the laundry so it doesn’t get out of control. Once you have enough to do a load, do it. Due to the limited amount of time during the week nights you may only have time to do one load, and go to bed while it is still in the dryer. Fold the load the next night instead of doing another load.
- Clean the kitchen after dinner. I admit, this one is hard for me. Since we don’t have a dish washer it seems like cleaning the dishes take foreverrrrrr. But coming home to a clean kitchen makes making dinner a much more enjoyable experience. I have noticed that on the days I don’t abide by this I try to avoid making dinner the next day (I can get away with this now since we don’t have any kids). I am full of excuses, the kitchen is already dirty or I don’t want to make any more dishes. By spending the 10-15 minutes doing the dishes after dinner, the next day goes much more smoothly. Don’t be afraid to get the whole family involved in making dinner or cleaning up. Spouses/children can help by being your sous chef and prepping the ingredients. Or helping wash and dry dishes after dinner. This also gives you more time to spend together and talk about your day.
- Everything should have a place. If you are like me, clutter has a way of appearing. I like to work on decluttering one area at a time, this way I am not overwhelmed by the task. While I may not accomplish decluttering the entire area in one night, I am currently working on a corner in the kitchen, I will be able to put a few things away every night and eventually the area will be clutter-free.
- Do a walk-through of the house before bed. This is to put everything away in its place before bed. I put the keys in the designated bowl (that didn’t make it in there when everyone got home), push in the dining room chairs, straighten out the pillows of the couch, put away any clothes that are on my bureau and lay out my running clothes for the next morning.
Doing these five things everyday will help you regain order in your house and be prepared for your day. Of course there is always more cleaning to be done but if you keep up with these little tasks you won’t spend the whole weekend cleaning! It’s summer, time to hit beach.